Voyageur: Northeast Wisconsin's Historical Review is a nonprofit magazine about the history and prehistory of a twenty-six-county region of greater Northeast Wisconsin. The magazine's coverage area extends from the Sheboygan and Fond du Lac areas northward to the Michigan border, and from Lake Michigan westward to the Wisconsin River region. Voyageur is cosponsored by the Brown County Historical Society, University of Wisconsin-Green Bay and St. Norbert College in De Pere.
Manuscripts may focus on a variety of historical issues and themes, including but not limited to: social, economic, political, technological, cultural, business, labor, industrial, environmental, religious, military, transportation, ethnic, racial, sexual, institutional, educational, medical, health, legal, criminal, archeological, architectural, sports and recreational.
Manuscripts are blind-reviewed by Voyageur's Editorial Committee and will be returned upon request. Authors will be notified within three months of submission whether a manuscript has been accepted for publication. Voyageur does not accept creative nonfiction or fictional accounts of people, places or events based on the historical record.
- Format & Length. Authors are encouraged to submit their works on a cd rom disk using standard and up-to-date word processing software. Authors should also submit at least one hard copy print-out of their manuscripts. Double spaced manuscripts produced on a typewriter are welcome as well.
Manuscripts should be no longer than 5,000 words, not including notes and tables. Only with the author's approval, longer manuscripts may be edited down or split into parts as a multi-part series. Please indicate word count on your manuscript. Original manuscripts are preferred, although exceptions on occasion are made to publish in Voyageur previously published works if appropriate permission is given.
- Style. Use Chicago Manual of Style guidelines for all manuscripts. Do not use in-text references, i.e., (Weston, 1972). In ordinary text, whole numbers from one through ninety-nine are spelled out. However, when normally spelled numbers cluster in a sentence or paragraph, use figures. Use % instead of percent in reference to statistics; for rounded percentages write the words. Underline or italicize names of cities when using newspaper names, i.e., New York Times.
- Sources. Voyageur strongly urges endnotes and/or a bibliography or sources-consulted list to help readers evaluate information presented in a manuscript. See the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Photographs. and Other Images. Voyageur also urges authors to submit images or photocopies of images that could be used with their text. Images may include photographs, drawings, maps, artwork, and reproductions of documents. Scans of original documents may be included on a CD-ROM disk. Images that are between 8x10 – 5x7 inches should be scanned at 100% of their original size at a resolution of 300 dpi. Images smaller than 5x7 should be scanned at 200% of their original size at a resolution of 300dpi. Acceptable file formats include: jpeg, tiff, eps, pdf or gray scale. Digital photographs need to be of sufficient resolution to allow for reproduction on a printing press and therefore should be at least 1280x960 pixels at 300dpi.
- Tables. Do not duplicate material in text and tables. Tables and figures are helpful when they aid the reader in clarifying complicated or voluminous information or data.
- Headings. The use of headings is encouraged to organize information and to break up long blocks of text. First-level headings should be typed in bold and centered. Second-level headings, if used, should be flush left and typed in bold italic. Third-level headings, if used, should be flush left and typed in italic.
- Abstract. Please include an abstract of no more than 150 words summarizing your manuscript.
- Deadlines. Deadline for manuscripts submitted to Voyageur are June 1st and November 1st of each year.
- Copyright. The contents of Voyageur are protected by copyright in the name of the Brown County Historical Society. Permission is freely granted by Voyageur and the Society for authors to have their submissions published elsewhere if proper credit is given to Voyageur.
- Remuneration. It is not possible at this time for the nonprofit Voyageur to pay authors or other contributors for publishing their work. However, Voyageur does pay image reproduction fees.
- Where to Send. Manuscripts, images, or correspondence should be sent to:
- Office Mailing Address:
- Voyageur Magazine
- P.O. Box 8085
- Green Bay, WI 54308-8085
- Email: email@example.com
- Office Location:
- Studio Arts Building #224
- University of Wisconsin
- 2420 Nicolet Dr.
- Green Bay, WI 54311-7003
If your manuscript is accepted, please submit images to accompany the story and include appropriate captions on a separate piece of paper. Also indicate the source of your images on the same sheet. Please write a 100-word biography and include a photograph of yourself (head shot).
Thank you for your time and effort and for considering Voyageur.
Book & Video Reviews. Anyone who wishes to review books or videos for Voyageur or to propose a book or video review should contact Voyageur at the address above.